Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Callaway Gardens Speckled Heart Grits


For the last two years I have taken a little trip by myself around Mother’s Day…just me, myself and I.   It’s a time of reflection, rejuvenation and I also use the time to review goals and set new ones for the year to come.   


Relaxation and great food and drink fit into the weekend, too………of course!


The first trip I took was a return trip to a place my mother and I visited often…and a place where we had taken a “girl’s trip” with my best friend and her mother when my friend and I were in high school.   


The four of us had a wonderful time…making Callaway Gardens one of my “special” places to visit.


One morning while we were there we left our hotel and drove up Pine Mountain to Callaway Garden’s Store and had breakfast.  Not only did we have a wonderful view from breakfast….we had some of the best grits I ever had.




The grits happened to be speckled heart grits and they aren’t your normal run-of-the-mill grit at all. 


Speckled heart grits are made from the whole grain including the heart of the corn kernel.   This results in robust grits that roll around your mouth with a slight grainy texture.


I love them.


I love them so much I bought two bags during my weekend sojourn at the gardens.  The bag had an interesting recipe……I’ll admit I haven’t tried it yet, but I plan to soon.


Here's the recipe:


Baked Grits Souffle


1 ½ cups Speckled Heart Grits
4 ½ cups water
2 cans mushroom soup
6 eggs, well beaten
1 cup cracker crumbs
2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese


Cook grits according to traditional recipe above.  Mix with Mushroom soup.   Add well beaten eggs.  Place mixture in baking dish greased well with bacon drippings.   Cover with cracker crumbs and cheese.  Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes    Serves 4-6


While it’s almost ten months until my next trip I’m already thinking about the location.   I usually try to stick somewhere in the Atlanta area.


Any suggestions?

1 comment:

Stella said...

Thank you very much!
Do you like flowers? Do you have paper crafts in your house?
There are beautiful pop up flower card and halloween pop up card.
You're welcome!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...