Monday, February 13, 2012

Open Faced Pulled Pork Sandwiches with Tangy Broccoli Slaw

One night last week I decided I wouldn’t go to the store.  I had things in the freezer I needed to use, so I rummaged around and found a pork loin roast.  Well, actually it was half of a rather large one I had picked up from the grocery store when they had them on sale. 

I had seen a particular recipe in Simple magazine earlier in the day and it called for broccoli slaw….and I happened to have a package, and didn’t want to waste it.   To make this recipe even more interesting to try it involves the crock pot…..I was rather busy, and anytime I can work straight through and STILL have something cooked for dinner I jump on the opportunity.

1 medium red onion, sliced
8 T. cider vinegar
Kosher salt and black pepper
¼ cup sour cream
¼ cup mayonnaise
1 12-ounce package broccoli slaw (4 cups)
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
¼ cup tomato paste (1 small can)
¼ cup packed light brown sugar
1 T. Worcestershire Sauce
1 T. Dion mustard
1 T. Cajun seasoning
1 ½ pounds pork shoulder, trimmed and cut into 2 pieces
4 thick slices sandwich bread, toasted

In a medium bowl, mix together the red onion, 4 tablespoons of the vinegar, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper.  Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours and up to 3 days.

In a large bowl, whisk together the sour cream, mayonnaise, 2 tablespoons of the remaining vinegar, and ¼  teaspoon each salt and pepper.  Fold in the broccoli slaw and refrigerate for up to 12 hours.

In a 4-to 6-quart slow cooker, mix together the yellow onion, tomato paste, sugar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, Cajun seasoning, the remaining 2-tablespoons of vinegar, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper.  Add the pork and turn to coat.



Cover and cook until the pork is very tender, on low for 7 to 8 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours. Using two forks, shred the pork and mix it into the cooking liquid.   Serve the pork and onions on the toast with the broccoli slaw.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...